Friday, May 16, 2008

Background 1...

Here's an email we sent out after the first big Dr's visit (4/1)... It's a bit lengthy, but it provides some background.

(For anyone who may not know, we had an ultrasound a week and a half ago and found out we’re having a boy, but the doctor was concerned that there was too much spinal fluid on the brain so he sent us to a perinatologist to have another, more in depth ultrasound done. )


Well, we had our doctor’s appt. today in Dayton, so we thought we’d give everyone an update on what’s going on with Zicklet #2. The spinal fluid in the ventricles was still pretty high and indicates hydrocephaly (fluid on the brain). The most likely cause of hydrocephaly is that the aqueduct that lets the fluid through is very narrow or blocked. Although we don’t know the cause for sure, the most common way of treating the problem is by putting a shunt in the brain once the baby is born which will continually drain the excess fluid off of the brain to another part of the body where it can be reabsorbed. The doctor said that the prognosis is still good and that the fetal brain is very resilient. Of course there is a wide range of outcomes and brain damage is still a concern. Right now the baby’s head is normal size and will hopefully stay that way. If the fluid and pressure increase, it could potentially cause the head size to expand. So far the doctors say it appears not to be a syndrome or chromosomal disorder, which is a good thing. We haven’t gotten the genetic test results from the amniocentesis which will be a better indicator if there is a chromosomal problem. They also found on this ultrasound that the baby has club feet (which means they are kind of curved or turned inward). This could be related or unrelated to the hydrocephalus. The doctor said it is pretty easily remedied with casting and/or surgery within the first year.

So I guess the next thing is to talk with my OB and make a plan. We’re just waiting to for the amnio results and will meet with a genetic counselor and also will need to meet with a pediatric neurosurgeon. They’ll probably do periodic ultrasounds to monitor the fluid levels.

This has all been a lot for us to take in us over the last couple of weeks, and it has been tough. There have been waves of sadness and anxiousness, but overall, we can honestly say that we have trust in God and his purposes in all of this. We’re so grateful to have Him and a close circle of friends and family who have already provided us with support and encouragement. There’s a long road ahead, and we’d greatly appreciate your prayers (that we would be able to take this one day at a time/minimal or no brain damage/discernment in upcoming decisions/wisdom of the doctors/stuff like that).

Thanks for taking the time to read all of this.
-Scott & Kira

3 comments:

LaMonica said...

Sra. Zick, I'm definitely praying for both you and Scott. I just believe everything will be ok with little Zicklet # 2! =-) Stay encouraged because his life is in God's hands!

LaMonica

Sheila y Carlos said...

Scott and Kira, you are being prayed for from Spain. we love you guys and can´t wait to meet your family.

sheila, carlos and dylan

Steve and Stephanie Back said...

We are thinking about you all!! Please let me know what we can do to help!